To register for the full Corporate Stream (8 programs), please click on ‘PURCHASE'. Select from the list below if you would like to register for a single program.
Drafting for Business Lawyers
Presented live on October 21, 2010
Learn how to translate the business deal into contract concepts. Our expert panelists will provide you with a step-by-step guide to putting a contract together and negotiating terms to create value for your client., using live practical drafting exercises to illustrate teaching points.
- Steps in putting a contract together
- Building blocks, structure and language of a contract
- Translating the business deal into contract concepts
- Use of boilerplate
- Reviewing and negotiating opposing counsel's draft
- Professional and ethical issues to consider
Understanding Financial Statements
Presented live on November 23, 2010
Acquire an essential understanding of financial accounting and the relationship between law and business. A leading practitioner and accounting professional will teach you how to read and interpret financial statements - and use them effectively in negotiations and structuring deals.
- Key financial concepts and finance terms
- Interpreting financial statements
- What the numbers really mean
- How to use them in negotiating and structuring deals
- Ethical issues when working with financial statements
Business Finance for Lawyers
Presented live on January 26, 2011
Enhance your knowledge and expertise in debt financing and learn how to conduct a secured loan transaction. A video demonstration of the client's initial consultation with the bankers on proposed financing structures sets the stage and illustrates the business realities behind the transaction.
- Overview of business finance (debt, equity and leasing)
- Debt financing - how to conduct a secured loan transaction
- Security agreements (and related documents including guarantees), security perfection and priority
- Estoppel letters and postponements
- Working with credit officers and finance professionals
- Professional and ethical issues to consider
Tax Issues in Corporate Transactions
Presented live on February 11, 2011
Learn how to address common tax issues in business transactions, and how to plan ahead to reduce risk and add value for your client. Our expert panelists will also provide an overview of GAAR and ethical issues in tax practice.
- Common tax issues in corporate transactions
- Planning ahead to add value
- Identifying and assessing tax risk
- Tax planning and execution
- Post-acquisition planning and compliance
- What is GAAR?
- Ethical issues in tax practice and the changing landscape for tax advisors
Acting for a Start-up Business
Presented Live: March 8, 2011
Gain a better understanding of your role as a valued business advisor. Through video demonstrations and commentary from our national panel, you will learn about the choice of different business entities, advising on shareholder/partnership agreements and the professional and ethical issues inherent in taking on a new client and counseling the start-up business.
- Choice of different business entities
- Basic tax considerations of the structural option
- Advising on shareholder/partnership agreements
- Ethical and professional responsibility issues (including confidentiality, conflicts and retainers)
- The lawyer's role as business advisor - how to add value while respecting the boundaries?
Due Diligence Fundamentals
Presented Live: April 6, 2011
Learn the concepts underlying due diligence and the steps in the process, from choosing which searches are appropriate, to conducting minute book, corporate and security reviews, and understanding the importance of due diligence to the transaction. This how-to guide, from experienced deal team leaders, will provide you with the basics, and provide guidance on the consequences of inadequate due diligence.
- Understanding the role of due diligence as part of the larger transaction
- How to conduct a corporate minute book review
- How to conduct corporate and security searches and analyze results
- Precedent report to instructing lawyer and clients
- Contract review: what to look for and how to report
- Pitfalls of failing to conduct adequate due diligence
Buying and Selling a Business
Presented Live On: May 3, 2011
Explore key elements of counseling clients in the purchase and sale of a small business. Video demonstration and instruction from our national panel will teach you how to negotiate and document the transaction, how to structure the deal to achieve your client's objectives (asset v. share deals) and how to avoid common practical and ethical pitfalls along the way.
- Structuring the deal to achieve client objectives, and planning for after the sale
- Negotiating and documenting the purchase and sale of a business (including representations, warranties and indemnities)
- Implications of purchase and sale of assets v. shares
- Professional responsibility issues in business transactions
Running an M & A Deal
Presented Live On: May 31, 2011
Acquire the tools you need to successfully execute all phases of the M&A process, from planning and pre-deal preparation, through implementation and post-closing issues. This session is loaded with practical tips that you can take back to your deal team to effect a more seamless transaction.
- Overview of the M & A deal process
- The deal team - roles and responsibilities
- Practical aspects of documentation - critical terms and clauses
- Doing the deal - from LOI to closing party
- Negotiating opinions
- Professionalism when running a deal